The State of Maine has changed the process for filing a marriage license. Please allow for at least an hour for the Clerk to process the marriage license. We ask that you fill out the intentions form prior to coming into the office. Call or email one the clerks with any questions and to set up an appointment.
What do I need to get married in Maine?
- The first step in filing for your marriage license is to have your marriage intentions recorded in writing. These documents are available at the Town Clerk’s Office or online by clicking the link above.
- Both parties must sign the intentions in the presence of the Clerk or a Notary Public.
- If you are both residents of Maine but live in separate towns/cities you may have your marriage intentions recorded by the Clerk in either town/city.
- If one is a Maine resident and one is not, you must file in the town/city of the Maine resident.
- If the intended parties are both from another State or Country and wish to marry in Maine, they can file intentions in any town/city in Maine and may be married anywhere in the State of Maine.
How much does a marriage license cost?
- The fee for a marriage license is $40.00.
What if we have been married before?
- If you have been married before and are divorced, you must show a certified copy of your last divorce decree to the Clerk. It should have a raised seal on it.
- An annulment decree is required if the last marriage ended in annulment.This should not be a church annulment but a civil decree.
- If your last spouse has died, you will need to show a certified copy of the death certificate for the deceased spouse.
When can we get a marriage license?
- We ask that you call or email to make an appointment with one of the clerks. This will allow enough time to process the marriage intentions.
- The license is good for 90 days.