Town Officials have been following the COVID-19 Pandemic closely and how it relates to our community. We are taking measures suggested by the CDC and will continue to monitor the COVID-19 Pandemic on a daily basis and change guidance as we feel necessary.
UPDATED MAY 18, 2020 - 8:41AM
ASSESSING CLERK WILL BE OPEN TO THE PUBLIC BEGINNING MONDAY, MAY 18TH
- Open normal hours 9 AM - 4 PM, Monday - Friday
- Must wait in line and when you arrive to the front of the line let the ladies at the counter know you would like to see assessing
- Facemasks must be worn at all times unless exempt - strictly enforced
- All patrons must stop at the hand sanitizer station before continuing on to assessing
- Counter transactions should be limited to viewing tax maps, cards, or deeds
- If you have an issue that will require the Assessing Agent to look it over, such as a split lot or wrong assessment, please call in and our Assessing Clerk will schedule you to come in the next day our Assessor is available
UPDATED MAY 1, 2020 - 12:45PM
ALL PATRONS MUST WEAR A MASK, PURSUANT TO THE GOVERNOR’S EXECUTIVE ORDER, DUE TO THE CLOSE PROXIMITY YOU WILL BE WITH EMPLOYEES DURING TRANSACTIONS. WE ALSO RECOMMEND TO CONTINUING DOING AS MUCH AS YOU CAN USING THE ONLINE PORTALS WE HAVE AVAILABLE OR BY USING THE MAIL.
CODE ENFORCEMENT & ASSESSING PHASE ONE TO OPEN ON MONDAY, MAY 4TH
- Open normal hours to staff 8 AM – 4 PM, closed to the public
- Drop box outside for anything needing to be dropped off
- Will accept all forms of payment
- Code Enforcement Officer may do inspections
- Have questions, please use the following numbers:
LIBRARY PHASE ONE TO OPEN ON MONDAY, MAY 4TH
- Open normal hours to the public
- No more than 5 patrons in the building at a time, must remain six feet or more from each other unless they are family
- No groups may meet
- Computer usage is limited to only two terminals, opposite each other and are wiped down after each user
- When checking out patrons they must scan the bar code
- Downstairs shall be closed during this time period
- No interlibrary loans
TOWN OFFICE FRONT COUNTER PHASE ONE TO OPEN ON WEDNESDAY, MAY 6TH
- Open normal hours to the public
- 2 transaction limit per person, unless it is only multiple tax account payments
- Stanchion with sign at front door stating “please wait here for next available teller”
- No more than 2 patrons in the building at a time, must remain six feet or more from each other
- Will accept all forms of payment
- All patrons shall exit through the conference room
- Drop box outside for anything needing to be dropped off that doesn’t need immediate attention
UPDATED APRIL 30, 2020 - 6:35PM
Implemented to start on Friday, May 1, 2020
News that you have all been waiting for... the Transfer Station will be open 100%. Remember they are on their summer hours which are Friday - Monday 7 AM - 5 PM. We highly recommend wearing a face covering and ask that you either write a check or bring exact change for anything you will need to pay to get rid of. We also kindly ask that you don't start unloading until the car in front of you is completed with their unloading so social distancing can be maintained. Thanks for your patience with getting the upper portion re-opened.
All other Town services that are closed have plans for re-opening and we will share those within the next couple of days once we finalize them and have everything in place.
UPDATED APRIL 1, 2020 - 12:51PM
Current reduction in municipal services (closed to the public) has been extended until April 30th. This date matches what the Governor put out in her executive order on 3/31/2020. We will continue to monitor the COVID 19 situation and adjust our operations accordingly.
The services that are still open include Transfer Station, Public Works, and Fire Rescue. We can still receive tax payments and building permit applications – either online, by mail, or folks can drop them off in the drop box outside the front door.
UPDATED MARCH 20, 2020 - 9:03AM
The Town has not changed any status' to our municipal entities. However we have had a lot of calls about motor vehicle registrations and would like to share the following:
For anyone who may not have seen this yet, the emergency legislation does cover some registration issues.
- All registrations, including temporary registrations for vehicles, boats, atvs, snowmobiles and trailers that expires during the period of state emergency is deemed extended until 30 days after the state of emergency is terminated.
- The extension does not change the registration interval. All fees that would have been due are still due within 30 days of the termination of the state of emergency.
- The online renewal systems (Rapid Renewal and MOSES) are to be turned on for all municipalities even if they current do not participate and will stay on until 30 days after the state of emergency is terminated.
The important notice here is “expires during”. Registrations that expired before the state of emergency was declared would not qualify for the extension the way it’s worded (i.e. all boats which expired in December). I suspect that is why they are turning on the online systems to everyone so people can renew those boats online if needed.
“Temporary registrations” should cover Maine dealer sales but private sales and out of State dealer sales will not have a way to complete the registration process. Even in the Secretary of State’s press release he indicated that new registration could not be completed. The only option for them is if their municipality is still helping customers in some fashion, can complete a new registration (i.e. sales tax and title app) and has available inventory.
UPDATED MARCH 17, 2020 - 2:05PM
Implemented to start on Tuesday, March 17, 2020 and continue through April 8, 2020
- Code Enforcement Office – Closed to the Public. Permit applications can still be filled out online and either emailed or dropped off in our vestibule area. Payments can be accepted by check or called in to be paid by credit card. Staff will be available by phone at 998-4604 or by email at email@example.com during normal business hours of 8 AM – 4 PM Monday – Friday.
- Assessing, Finance, Recreation, Public Works – Closed to the Public.
- Town Office – Closed to the Public. Taxes and Re-registrations for vehicles can be done online. Tax payments can be mailed or called in to be paid by credit card. Tax payments can be dropped off in person in our vestibule area. Staff will be available by phone at 998-4601 or you may email firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; or firstname.lastname@example.org for more information. They will be available 9 AM - 5 PM Monday - Friday to answer questions.
- Transfer Station – Open normal business hours only for compactor ready household trash or recyclables. Transfer Station attendants will not be able to help unload any vehicle and will not have contact with residents. Residents may get rid of bulky waste at the MWAC facility in Auburn for a fee.
If you have andministration questions you can call 998-4601 and ask for Matt Garside or Nikki Pratt or you can email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org. They will be available 8 AM - 4 PM Monday - Friday to answer questions.
UPDATED MARCH 16, 2020 - 12:08PM
Implemented to start on March 16, 2020 and continue through April 8, 2020
- Ricker Memorial Library Closed
UPDATED MARCH 15, 2020 - 9:20PM
We continue to monitor the situation and will have a meeting on Monday, March 16th to discuss if we need to do anything differently with municipal services.
Implemented by RSU 16 to start on Monday, March 16, 2020 and continue through Friday, April 24, 2020
- RSU 16 Schools Closed
UPDATE MARCH 13, 2020 - 2:24PM
Implemented to start on Monday, March 16, 2020 and continue through April 8, 2020
- All Recreation Department events and activities will be cancelled, including practices.
- All Library Department events and activities will be cancelled.
- All scheduled rentals for the Library or Town Hall will be cancelled.
- All non-essential Town of Poland employee travel will be cancelled.
- All Interlibrary loans will be suspended.
- All Town Board and Committee meetings will be cancelled. This includes Board of Selectpersons, Planning Board, Library Trustees, CEDC, Board of Appeals, Trails Committee, Conservation, Historical, Senior Group and any ad-hoc committees.
All residents are highly encouraged to use our online services to pay taxes, re-register vehicles and boats, and file permit applications. Tax payments may also be mailed to the Town Office.